Tuesday, April 05, 2011

this is the last time I re-new my mobile.me subscription

There are some things that work well with Apple's mobile.me service like the Calender, the Address book syncing all over your macs and iDevices, the email (when accessed through their client software). There are also many other things that mobile.me sucks and yes -despite the fact I am a loyal Apple customer and fan - some things suck! 
  • mobile.me email on the web is almost un-usable. Web 1.x style/implementation, 50% of sending emails  fails (for some unknown reason), session time outs, minimal web ui  unfortunately not functional as gmail is (even though gmail is still in beta).
  • Mobile.me (iDisk) storage solution is practically un-usable as well. I have tried numerous times to upload something in my 10gigs storage and the plain webDAV imlpementation fails to satisfy my every day needs (for years now). I have 10gig of space and I use dropbox instead which I am planning to extend by becoming a paid customer.
  • Mobile.me photos is very minimal and again very web 1.x -ish in a world that for years services like Flickr, Picassa etc dominate! 
  • Find My iPhone - is a nice idea but realistically I dont think I can do anything else rather than 'cry' for my lost iphone in case it is stolen! I dont think I would pay for it.
I just- re-newed my service and this is the last time. I really hope in the meantime , Apple to release a free version of the service which I plan to migrate to. My main goal is to retain my email (I really like me @mac.com email) and not  introduce a communication black hole by deprecating my main contact email. I really dont know how the new mobile.me service is going to look like and what other special services is going to offer - I guess if this change happens within this current year of subscription I will have the chance of trial-ing the new cloud service and decide again next year. 

I truly believe that mobile.me is one of the rare cases in Apple's product portfolio that they have done a very poor job comparing to their hardware or software (MacOSX) offers, which always combine quality, easiness of use and satisfaction to the end user.

5 comments:

  1. Το σκεφτόμουν να αγοράσω λογαριασμό, ευτυχώς που δεν το έκανα…

    Αν είναι να μην λειτουργεί ούτε σαν δωρεάν δεν το θέλω…

    Και εγώ fan είμαι, αλλά κυρίως γιατί λειτουργεί σωστά, άμα δεν λειτουργεί τι να το κάνεις…

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly. I did the renewal just two weeks ago and this is exactly my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm relatively new to MobileMe, having used it for less than a year. I agree with all the above remarks. As a whole, MobileMe is subpar in almost every area when compared with competing solutions.

    The only advantage I see and the reason I plan to renew it next year has do do with online privacy control and compartmentlization.

    In the last couple of years I've become wary of Google's control over my online presence. By relying on their services for most of my online activities I allowed them to know everything I did online. They knew what I was searching for. They knew who I was emailing with and what I was talking about. Because I never logged out of my account, they knew the sites I was visiting by tracking the ads that loaded in my browser (you don't have to click on them for Google to know where you've surfed). [1]

    All in all I gave complete access of my online presence to Google. And I realised I didn't like it, because that is exactly how you pay for Google's services. You pay them with personal information, and Google sells it to advertisers. Like someone said elsewhere, "If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you're the product being sold" [2]. I like to know how I pay for stuff I use. I prefer to pay with nice, impersonal money.

    So now I pay Apple with cash for my email, a company whose primary business is not to collect user data and sell them to the highest bidder. I search with DuckDuckGo.com [3] which doesn't hold any logs on who searches what [4]. I use Delicious to store my bookmarks and Flickr for my photographs. Files go to Dropbox. I try to keep things separated as much as I can, and to stay away from Google as much as I can. I still use Google Reader but I make sure I log out once I'm done reading my feeds.

    Regarding MobileMe Mail, if I could find another, for-pay, service that intergrated with OS X and iOS, I would definitely try it.

    [1]: http://donttrack.us/
    [2]: http://lifehacker.com/#!5697167/if-youre-not-paying-for-it-youre-the-product
    [3]: https://duckduckgo.com/about.html
    [4]: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Antonis, thanks for such a detailed comment. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @papo: Nay bother mate :-)

    If MM Mail fails to improve significantly (regardless of its price, and I see no reason why Apple would want to become a free email provider), what other paid options are there for email? I gave FastMail a try but then I realised that they were bought by Opera (the guys behind the browser). To my eyes, that compromised their independence greatly. Also, their web interface is painful to use and ugly as sin.

    It's not that MM is great (on its own it's rather crap actually) but it's the best I've found that integrates so nicely with my choice of hardware, without relying on advertising. GMail kicks ass in almost every possible way, but the asking price is too steep for my liking.

    ReplyDelete